Tuesday, June 29, 2010

More Baking!

I'm pretty sure my co-workers think I'm out to sabotage their diets... because I've been baking up a storm! I decided to give my latest creation to a different department (my brother's department, specifically. I'm such a good sister!) So I made these babies last night

Chocolate Chunk Coconut Bars

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups oats (quick oats work best)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon canola or veg oil
1/2 - 2/3 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon chocolate or coconut extract (optional)
1-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
1/2 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chunks or chips
1/4-1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda and powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine applesauce, oil, sugar, vanilla,and other extract (if using).

Add wet to dry and mix until combined. The mixture will be very thick, so add soymilk a little at a time until it holds together well.

Fold in coconut (reserving a small portion for the top) and chocolate chunks. Press into baking dish and sprinkle over remaining coconut.

Bake for 21-23 minutes




They were quite good! I took a picture, but the lighting was very weird, so it didn't do these little guys justice, so I used a photo posted on Vegweb.com taken by moonkeymama. These are moist and chewy, like a very soft cookie. (One of the food tasters described it as more of a sweet bread.) They were pretty simple to make, and I'll definitely make this one again!

Dinner consisted of Soy Yogurt, Blueberries & Bear Naked Fit granola, as well as some "Breaded" Zucchini Fries. Kind of a random dinner combination, but I was listening to my cravings!


I really like the Bear Naked Fit Vanilla Almond Granola, but I haven't tried that many different kinds. I like it because it's low fat and doesn't have toooo much added sugar. Anyone else have a favorite granola? I'm open to trying new kinds!

No comments:

Post a Comment